Sunday, May 11, 2008

Content to be Single??

Song of Solomon 3:5

I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem,

By the gazelles or by the does of the field,

Do not stir up nor awaken love

Until it pleases.


Last night I dreamed I had gotten married. I don’t remember much about it, bu my alarm rang at 6:30, jerking me back to reality. Rats! Why did that have to be a dream?
I woke up pleading with God to give me a husband. But instantly Isaiah 54:5 came to mind:

For thy Maker is thine husband;

the LORD of hosts is his name;

and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel;

The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Who would make a better husband than my Savior??

Just this past month I've struggled with the thought of singleness. Before, I was perfectly happy to be in love with Jesus.
But now, I have to fight to keep my thoughts pure.
I've told God, "you can do anything you want with me..." and now I'm being asked to be content with singleness. And I fight it.

Can I do it?? Do I want to? Yes, and no.

If you would ask my emotions, they would say NO!!
But scripture, which ingnores emotion, says "yes, you HAVE to. Remember, you are not your own, you were bought with a price. So glorify God with your body! Duh, you stupid emotional person you..."

So, yes, I am (most of the time) content knowing that God's plan, whatever it is, is perfect for me.
Sometimes I wish I knew what that was...
Any thougts, ladies?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

lol...yeah, exactly that...except maybe the "stupid emotional person you" part. good perspective, Te...I know I can't tell you anything you don't already know, but keep on!

"For I know the plans I have for you." And that's enough. Frustratingly enough at times. :P

Meanwhile we do what we know...
"For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor."

"Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

...this is cool, but I am so gonna miss hashing this stuff out over a Starbucks!!