Friday, July 18, 2008

Of boots and skirts, of sweaters and shirts...

Fall clothes is starting to come out and I'm getting excited! To share my excitement I decided to post about it.

Ok. So I like fashion. I'll admit it here and now. It's always been a sticking point for me. But modest fashion--I LOVE! Well, not really...
I do think that dressing as a daughter of the King requires a bit of extra effort, time, thought and most of all, patience.


My mom and I have discovered, in our quest for good looking, modest clothes, that there are shortcuts. And in this, you need to have the mindset that you are investing.

First of all, you need to invest in a good, sharp-looking denim skirt, and a good, sharp looking khaki skirt. Please note: don't buy floor skimming, sloppy looking denim skirts.that look like they were cut out of a leftover pair of jeans. cuz they were! All those type of skirts are useful for is bathroom cleaning.

Secondly, look for a figure-skimming blazer in camel brown or dark brown. They last forever and can be worn from September through May, if you live in Wisconsin. I have a dark brown corduroy blazer that I bought 4 years ago and still plan on wearing it this fall--if it fits. If you have dark brown, navy or denim, that can be worn with a khaki skirt, too. Just don't EVER mix denims. That looks funny.




See how you can take the same basic skirt and make two completely different outfits, from very casual to businesslike--with the use of a sharp blazer?
I like my skirts a bit longer than this, but the idea is the same.



Then, go to Old Navy, Khol's, Target or Gap (on sale, of course) and look for 3 long-sleeve tees. That will be your casual, more disposable wardrobe; for around the house, errands, ect.
For more dressy occasions, and depending on your needs, find a white dress shirt, one printed shirt and one or two sweaters, and you can wear the white shirt alone or under a sweater or a blazer. With a long black skirt, this can be very dressy for church, Christmas parties, ect.

So the idea is that you have 2 basic skirts, 3 casual tees and 3 dressier tops...a complete wardrobe!


Take a print skirt, which can be bought very cheaply at the end of the summer, pair them with boots or flats and tights, and a sweater, and you have yourself a very pretty and fall appropriate outfit.By the way, tall-ish boots with skirts are wonderful. Target has great looking shoes for good prices that are fairly comfortable. Cuz if you wear a pair of 3" tall shoes, you'll need to have some flats to change into. I speak from experience here. My family always makes fun of my apparent need to sacrifice comfort for fashion...maybe I need to listen.
~Kirsten :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

love it!! thanks for sharing your wisdom/helpful hints/ideas!!

Pam said...

Kris and I are takin' notes. Off to search for some basics!