Saturday, July 12, 2008

Treasure Hunt!

Going on a treasure hunt, X marks the spot . . .

I don’t know exactly what brought it to mind, but I suddenly remembered yesterday that one of my favorite things to do on an otherwise boring afternoon is to hunt for hidden treasure. Since that obviously wasn’t an option, I did the next best thing. I made a bunch of other people hunt for hidden treasure!

The first clue was quickly solved (once “Caesar” was spelled correctly) and the chase is on!

Behind the picture of Great-Grandma, an enigmatic bit of morse code was discovered: P-H-R-E-A-M.

After they had puzzled for quite some time and begged for a hint, I obliged.
Me: “It’s an anagram.”
Them: “What’s an anagram?”
Someone: “Do an internet search! A-N-O-G-R-A-M.”

Oh, this is rich!

Someone else: “No, anogram is just some word game.”
Someone else: “Try two Ns!”

Ooh. Annogram. Very creative.

Eventually they stumbled across one of those sites that unscrambles it for you, and the clever computer figured it out in a matter of seconds.


This one proved to be quite a poser.

“El Dorado by-by Egdar Allan Poe. I bet it’s in our poem book! Let’s go check!” And off they ran.

Meanwhile, (I found this particularly amusing) Ellie took the clue over to the couch and sat down with it and her doll and promptly taped it shut. After they’d finished chasing the wind, I suggested that they take another look at the clue.

Someone: “But he grew old, this knight so bold—maybe it’s dad!”

Someone else: “And o’er his heart a shadow. Do we have any hearts?” (The paper skeleton hanging on the wall in the schoolroom was promptly searched. No heart.)


Under the carrots (Bugs Bunny snack!) in the refrigerator, Annie and Lydia at last located the prize. No chests of gold coins, today. A giant chocolate bar will have to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol. Fun! How do you figure out what to use for clues? I mean morse code or secret wordings I would try, but poems?! Wow! Ideas, ideas...

Steven

Anonymous said...

Wow good idea Michelle!
I remember that 'El Dorado' one from a previous treasure hunt!

Kirsten Marie Flage said...

This brings back such fun memories...

Anonymous said...

WAAAAAA!!!! I miss you. So you got to use the El Dorado poem after all, huh?

Seth