Sunday, June 14, 2009

I came across an inspiring article in No Greater Joy this morning. It has to do with a rather difficultish topic: what to do with your life as a single person. It's something I've wrestled with (a lot) and I know I'm not the only one. *grins*
I still have so much to learn!

What I want in a guy!


By: A Young Woman, June 2009 www.nogreaterjoy.org

"I am a 22-year-old girl who has met and seen my fair share of couples. I’ve traveled a good bit and lived with/helped out different families doing mission work.

These experiences have helped me figure out who I am today, and have been instrumental in showing me what I need in a husband.When I was 17, my cousins and friends, who are a few years older than I, all started getting married. So I naturally thought, “Well, I guess I should get married, too, because it seems to be the next step in life.” But the guy I would have married then and the guy I would marry now are two completely different types of men. I didn’t even know myself yet, much less what I should look for in a man.


I think, as homeschoolers, we are raised with the idea that marriage is the next important step in the school of life. I believe that attitude limits a person. I want to do something significant with my life, including learning all I have a capacity to comprehend, all for the purpose of making an eternal difference. I encourage girls to think: What are your dreams, what do you want to do, what do you want to know? Get out and do something, whether it’s starting a business, (which could include homemaking skills) or buying a piece of land. Go help out a missionary for six months. It will give you a whole new outlook on life and an appreciation for missionaries! It will grow you, give you more confidence, and help you figure out what you need in a husband. Every man is attracted to a woman who’s busy with abundant life, someone who is on the front side of making things happen.

Years ago I was chatting with a married couple who are good friends of mine, and who know me well. They helped me to figure out what I personally needed in a man. I wrote a list that day of five things I most need in a man!


1. I know that I need a Strong Leader who’s not going to let me shove him around. I want someone who is going to stand up and be the man!

2. Yet I need someone who is Open-minded, who will listen to all my crazy theories about life!

3. He needs to be Passionate, so that whatever he does, he does it with a fire under his boots!

4. I want him to be Spontaneous, full of zeal about life, and not afraid to jump into an adventure. I am a very enthusiastic person, and I love to do things on the spur of the moment. I want to marry someone I can jump on board with!

5. And I must have a man who Loves and Honors God and is already actively serving the Lord and has a deep-seated vision for life. "


No Greater Joy

We girls all have our lists, of course. I do! We should know what we want, for heaven's sake, otherwise how are we going to know it's Prince Charming or just another froggie when someone tall, dark and handsome pops in?


But I really wanted to share this article because I think she's right on. Come on, girls! Let's do something with this precious time! There's a big world out there; let's walk in the grace given to us by God. Let's be daughters of Sarah, the woman who wasn't afraid. Who can harm us, if we are followers of that which is good?

~Kirsten

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So excited to see you back. :) Great article, thanks for sharing.

Kristen said...

Great article and great message, Kirsten! May the Lord give each of us the focus and stamina to be doing his will and growing in the seasons he has placed us in preparation for the future he has in store for us (whatever it may be)!

Cheeser said...

I couldn't agree more with the idea that society ingrains in our minds the belief that marriage is necessary. It took me a long time to get out of that frame of mind and realize marriage is not "necessary" but "optional". I can attest that staying single when I was younger allowed me to do a lot more that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

It's nice to see young Christian women actively thinking about that, too, not just passively accepting it. You don't happen to have that person's phone #, do you? (just kidding)

Well actually, maybe I'm not kidding?

Thea said...

Ok, so I admit...the "just another froggie" line was added to my list of favorite Kirstenisms. But thanks for sharing this article, Te! One of my favs from Mac Pearl. :-)